Monday, March 16, 2020

Always Improving

New week, new climbs

Submitted scores for this week:
New v4 (15) - green pinchy
New v4 (15) - pink crimpy
New v5 (20) - yellow traverse
Old v5 (15) - black triangle slopers
Old v5 (15) - blue traverse

Total points: 80 points (hot damn)

That's one fine week of climbing.

The green v4 was being a boogie-man for me for the first few days of climbing this week, but all you have to do to defeat the crux is just grab the shit out of the top and pull. It's right near the top of the wall so it was fairly terrifying to pull on.

At one point, I was pulling on the top and was able to get my feet up. At this point I pushed through my legs using my hands as a point to rotate about. My hands ended up slipping and I shot off the wall landing ~5 feet away from the wall on my back. Thankfully it didn't hurt at all and I learned exactly how to finish the problem. Ended up crushing it on my next attempt.

This wasn't the first time that I fell from the top onto my back. I believe due to these type of falls, my fear of falling has been dwindling pretty quickly. I'm getting better about just going for it when I'm getting near the top. That voice in the back of my head that was telling me to be careful and get down is starting to lessen and lessen as I get over the fear.

That voice gets dangerous at the top, standing and finishing the climb is generally the safer option, with climbing down instead of jumping from ~10ft up.




Only offered unsolicited advice once (I think). Asked if someone wanted advice once also.

Slow improvement is still improvement.




COVID-19 is throwing the world into a frenzy currently. It is currently unclear whether or not the climbing gym is going to stay open. There was a decree from the governor today that all gyms will close their doors from today until further notice.

I also learned today that my surgery that was scheduled for Thursday (today is Monday) was also cancelled due to the outbreak.




I went to the hospital today to get blood work run for the surgery. My anxiety was running super high, but I was getting OK with the idea that I was going to be put under again. It's still scary but it was getting super real.

Later in the day I get the phone call that the hospital I was at was going to cancel and push off everything for 6 weeks, but I can switch hospitals and get back in 2 weeks.  I chose the two weeks with the switch.

Now I have to live with the anxiety for another two weeks...




I'm having a super hard time being OK with everything that is going on in my world right now. I know the steps that I need to take, but it doesn't make moving my feet any easier. The best I can do right now is try to stay distracted.

It's not working



Don't stop

1 comment:

  1. Edit: All elective surgery are being postponed until further notice. No time frame given :/

    ReplyDelete