Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Procrastination is much better

I know I'm supposed to be doing some homework right now, but I just read Doobers' post and well it made me think a lot about what I'm doing right/wrong for the new comers. Always start with the good and work to the bad.
Good: I think that the throwing practices are going very well. While learning flick is tough for the newer players, as it always is, it's going a lot smoother now then it had in the past. In combination with the other elder players on the team, we have been moving around adjusting little things that can help make the new players flicks actually go straight. Hopefully it'll come around soon so we can start getting more into the actual play of ultimate but we'll see. It was interesting to hear from one of the new girls that while doing the three-man mark drill, she was able to flick easier then while just throwing around because she didn't have to think about her throw as much. I couldn't agree more with what she was saying. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the least amount of thought that you put into a throw the better, you're mind has better things to do then to worry about which foot to step with, arm placements and all that crap.
Bad: Especially after reading doobers' post I realized that I do things without really thinking about doing it. I was using way too much ultimate lingo for the freshies, and not enough language to help them learn how to do what they need to do. I completely agree that we need to teach why to do something instead of exactly what to do. I'm not exactly sure of the athleticness of some of the newbies though or their background in sports prior to coming to college. Maybe they'll be able to pick it up, maybe not. We'll see today at practice.
Something I'm really looking forward to that one of the freshman asked me to do; hold a cutting practice. I'm amped. My favorite part of the game, and now they actually want to learn how to do it! Obvs Cleats help, but there are a lot of small things that can help make people's cuts and turns much more efficient and more explosive. The only problem is that I'm better at teaching this kind of stuff one on one. I'm gonna have to figure out how to do it on a large scale with all the people there. Even the old hats need some help in this aspect of the game.
Time to do some work, before going to practice to do work.

No comments:

Post a Comment